I was a big fan of Anne of Green Gables when I was growing up. I read the first few books, but I have never gotten enough of the movies.
I even received the DVD version of the first two movies for Christmas this past year because I've watched our VHS versions so many times.
There's something comforting about those movies, like curling up in a warm blanket on a snowy day. They're so slow and so little happens, that you don't really need to watch them or pay much attention to the story line, especially if you've already seen them twenty times. I love to craft or work on a puzzle or other project and just listen.
I love Anne's idea of kindred spirits. Those people out in the world who you connect with, who you feel like you've known forever, and who you wish were a part of your everyday life.
I remember the first time I met someone who I wished could be part of my family so that there would be a reason for her to be a permanent part of my life. I enjoyed being around her that much. I only knew her for a very short time during a family vacation, but I've never forgotten that feeling of meeting a kindred spirit.
Since then, I've experienced that same feeling more and more. I completely agree with Anne that "kindred spirits are not so scare as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world." These people are captivating right from the moment you first meet them, and they're so fun to talk to. It's wonderful to feel that connection and find yourself opening up to them more than you usually would with a total stranger.
Yes, the news is particularly depressing these days, and it might cause us to think that humanity is snowballing downhill at an ever increasing rate. But there's nothing I can do about all of these tragic news stories demanding attention and outrage.
I can choose to see the good in the world. I can choose to realize that there are kindred spirits all around me. All I have to do is strike up a conversation and see what happens next.


So many great characters in these books, and so many wonderful lines. Kindred spirits really do exist, and isn't that just the perfect term! :)
ReplyDelete