Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Training Tip Tuesday

My advice today is to take it slow. This is advice that I desperately need to take, so it's for me just as much as it is for anyone else. 

I injured my back 5 weeks ago. I ended up going to the emergency room the day it happened because I was scared by how much it swelled up and I thought I might have broken something. Thankfully, the x-rays confirmed that I had no broken bones, but I am still trying to recovery from this injury 5 weeks later. My nerves are damaged and bruised, and since the day of that accident, I have been unable to do a real workout or run more than 10 steps or so. 

I am so saddened by the fact that I cannot run. I want to do a Ragnar Trail Relay, I want to sign up for half marathon on June 18th, I want to sign up for a fun subscription box (I'm obsessed with subscription boxes!!!!) that has running challenges in it.... but I can't do any of those things right now.

So for myself, and all of you out there, take it slow! Whether you also have an injury you're trying to overcome, or your body is just incapable of keeping up with your mind right now for whatever reason, give your body time to heal and play catch up. 

I took this photo during my 3 mile run on April 15, not knowing it would be last run for quite some time. 
For now, I'm walking a few miles every day, doing some strengthening exercises every morning that do not hurt my back, and trying to be patient. 


1 comment:

  1. Good advice!! You'll be able to run again; it is just going to take patience to not re-injure yourself.

    ReplyDelete